Living on a military base in a foreign country I think we are reminded more than most how great it is to be an American and live in the USA. I remember taking the boys to eat at Burger King on-base when we first moved here and feeling totally out of place when I realized we were the only ones in the restaurant not in uniform. Now it has become the norm and it is going to feel weird when we come home to visit the states. My heart still skips a beat when I see a young marine dressed in fatigues, a helmet, and a bullet proof vest driving a camouflage truck wave at my boys as he passes by. My boys are definitely having different experiences than I did as a kid. My favorite patriotic moment is going to the movies on-base. Before the movie starts the entire theatre stands for a short patriot movie clip set to the National Anthem. It is amazing how no one makes a sound, not even the kids. All you hear is the Star Spangled Banner as you watch jets flying through the sky, bombs exploding, tanks firing during battle, kids being reunited with their deployed parent, and the American flag waving in the wind. You really can't help but be proud to be an American.
Saturday, July 5, 2008
Happy 4th of July
Happy 4th of July! The 4th of July was one of my favorite holidays when I was a kid. We would celebrate by going to a parade in the morning, a barbecue with my cousins at our grandparent's house in the afternoon and then watch the most amazing fireworks show in the evening. This year we tried to celebrate the same old way. There was no parade, we did have a nice barbecue with some families from Josh's command and we attempted to see some fireworks. According to neighbors, in years past you could see the military fireworks show from our base. This year you could only see the top 1/4 of 2 or 3 fireworks. It was kind of sad, but we know the Japanese do a really cool firework show in August so we will have to watch for that. Here is Josh and Max waiting for the fireworks to start.
Posted by .............................. at 6:14 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comments:
Sounds like you had a nice 4th despite not being able to see all the fireworks.
I wish they would show a clip of the National Anthem in the US at every movie! Now that is a really awesome thing!
Post a Comment