Saturday, October 6, 2007

Southeast Botanical Gardens

Brand's class went on a field trip to the Southeast Botanical Gardens and I got to tag along as a chaprone. It was about a 20 minutes bus ride from his school. The beauty of the gardens was incredible. Living in the Midwest for the last 7 years I am accustomed to indoor greenhouse gardens that protect the beautiful plants and trees from the harsh winters. It was amazing wandering around the enormous outdoor gardens and learning the names of the vegetation that surrounds us here in Okinawa.

Bottle Palms



Brand climbing a coconut tree (ok, he actually climbed a very safe 10 foot ladder that was attached to the coconut tree).

Polynesian Lake


Anniverary Tree Avenue


The funniest part of the whole trip was feeding the carp. The students could bring 100 yen (a little less than a $1) to buy a box of food to feed the fish. The fish turned out to be huge carp and a ton of them. They were so loud as they swam around fighting each other for food. I couldn't stop laughing at their wide open mouths as they flopped all over each other battling for food. You would think they hadn't eaten for weeks.


3 comments:

Becky said...

I still can't believe how beautiful it is there. It doesn't look real!

Jill said...

What a gorgeous garden! The video of the carp was really cool!

caligirl said...

I am ever so jealous!! I am glad to see you are having a great time on Okinawa. Email me when you get a chance. I would love to hear about where you live, etc-Talli (okigirl at heart!)